Parish Council elections are coming up in May.
Become a Councillor and help make a difference to our wonderful village!
It is a great time to join the Council as we are working on a 5-year strategic plan. Councillors are all volunteers working to benefit the community of Cholsey, for the present and for the future. We want to be an active part of the community, to listen to resident’s views, and to drive positive changes wherever we can.
Find out more:
Online information session 15th March at 2pm: The Oxfordshire Association of Local Councils is running an online hour for anyone interested in becoming a town or parish councillor. A short introduction and open question time covering eligibility, skills, expectations, and some basics about life as a councillor. There is no need to book. See https://www.oalc.org.uk/event-detail/00000000166
For an informal chat about what the role involves please get in touch by emailing the Clerk, Claire Bird, at firstname.lastname@example.org, calling 01491 652255, or by contacting a current Councillor via the Council web site.
For lots more information visit https://www.nalc.gov.uk/our-work/local-elections
I would like to stand – what do I do?:
A Candidates’ guide from the monitoring officer:
- Comprehensive guidance on parish council elections is available on the Electoral Commission website.
- The guidance is divided into six sections, and candidates are strongly recommended to make use of it as necessary and, in particular, Parts 1 and 2 relating to qualifications and disqualifications for being a candidate and the submission of nominations.
- Nominations may be submitted from Monday 20 March 2023 (including Saturday 25 March and 1 April but not Sundays). The final date and time for their receipt of nominations by the elections team will be 4pm on Tuesday 4 April 2023.
- Nomination papers must be hand-delivered to the council offices at Abbey House, Abbey Close, Abingdon, OX14 3JE. Full details of the relevant room for the delivery of nomination forms will be provided on the notice of election.
- You can find a comprehensive parish nomination pack and helpful guidance on the Electoral Commission website.
- You must use the updated 2023 nomination form and not any old forms which will be rejected. All pages of the nomination pack (including those left blank) must be submitted.
- Candidates can also find examples of completed nomination forms on our South and Vale websites which they may find useful to help them complete their nomination forms.
To become a councillor you need to be:
- Aged 18 or over
- A British citizen, Commonwealth citizen, Irish citizen or European Union citizen
- Able to answer ‘Yes’ to at least one of the questions below:
Are you on the electoral register for Cholsey?
Have you lived either in the Parish or within three miles of its boundary, for at least a year?
Have you been the owner or tenant of land in the Parish for at least a year?
Have you had your only or main place of work in the Parish for at least a year?